Saturday, January 8, 2022 – Toronto, Ontario.
Kenyan Canadian Association - KCA, a federal not-for-profit that implements programs that focus on the racialized and other marginalized groups has appointed Ms. Kombii Nanjalah as the British Columbia Regional Chair.
Based in Vancouver BC, she is an elder and a community leader, having worked in the community since she arrived in Canada in 2006 to date. She seats on different boards in Vancouver, Surrey and Vancouver Island as well as in Continental of Africa (Kenya, Ethiopia and Uganda)
She brings her experience as a community servant with the need to learn from others who are already offering their expertise in the organization.
She has four sons and has a 5-year-old grandson but is well-known as a mother and guardian to so many children in Canada and other parts of the world. She works in the community mainly serving those Canadians on the streets of Vancouver experiencing homelessness, mental health and addiction. She is an outreach worker for the black needy families on the streets. She cooks and feeds them using culturally appropriate meals.
KCA has 19 regions across Canada and implements various programs including newcomers & settlement; social economic empowerment; children & youth; women & gender affairs; sports & recreation; careers, education & research; seniors outreach; as well as health & wellness.
Contact details for KCA Regional Chairs, can be found at www.kcacanada.org/index.php/contact-us
BRITISH COLUMBIA REGIONAL CHAIR
The Regional Chair will report directly to the KCA President. The Regional Chair will also work closely with the Head of Council, The Secretariat and Program Directors. Will oversee of all KCA activities in the region.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Closely work with other Council members to formulate work plans then implement those transformative plans in the region
- Act as the grassroot liaison for the program activities and projects in the region
- Coordinate KCA events and projects in the region in collaboration with project teams and program committees.
- Proactively represent KCA at official functions, events and meetings with Cities officials, political leaders and stakeholders in the region
- Where applicable, organize flag-raising, commemoration and proclamation functions in collaboration with city protocol offices
- Addresses regional issues in timely manner by working with the Secretariat and KCA Program teams
- Facilitates good working relationship with municipalities, political & community leaders as well as other strategic partners in the region
- Submit periodic reports to the Secretariat through the President – ad hoc, quarterly, half-year and annual
- Undertake other Regional activities and initiatives in consultation with the President.